If you feel embarrassed by the presence of persistent bad breath, you could be suffering from halitosis. Having bad breath can be embarrassing and make you feel self-conscious about meeting other people. However, understanding the direct cause of your halitosis could help in defeating it.
Our doctor, Dr. Kevin M. Altieri, can help you with halitosis. That is why our team at Bellaire Dental Excellence in Fort Worth, Texas, is here to share with you some possible causes of the condition.
Here are some possible causes to halitosis:
– Medications: Some medications prescribed by your doctor could cause severe bad breath.
– Cavities: Tooth decay can cause your mouth to smell as your teeth rot if neglected.
– Other conditions: Conditions in your body such as liver problems, kidney malfunctions, and respiratory tract infections can cause halitosis.
– Gum disease can cause your gums to smell due to the bacteria lingering in them, and this is the most common reason for halitosis.
– Tobacco: Tobacco use irritates the teeth and gums and causes severe bad breath along with many other health problems.
– Dry Mouth: Your mouth needs saliva to wash away the smelly foods and bacteria from your smile.
– Foods: Delicious foods and drinks like coffee, onions, garlic, sodas, and even teas can cause your breath to smell foul.
As you can see, many things can cause halitosis. Luckily, our team can help you discover your cause and give you the help you need to treat it and restore your oral health. If you have questions about your smile, or if you would like to make an appointment, please call us today at 817.294.5513.